This is the documentation page for the BNM WordPress theme.
2. Theme Installation
- Visit your site’s dashboard.
- Navigate to Appearance → Themes.
- Click on the “Add New” button at the top.
- Then enter the text “bnm” in the “Search themes” search input.
- When the theme “BNM” appears hover over it to find the “Install” button. Click on the Install button and then click on the “Activate” button.
3. Adding a Custom Logo
- Go to Appearance → Customize → Site Identity
- Click on the “Select Logo” button which is under the “Logo” title.
- After selecting or uploading the logo image it will take you to a screen where you can crop the image as you see fit. If you do not want to crop the logo image proceed by just clicking on the “Skip Cropping” button.
- After adding a logo image there will be two controls to set the logo Max width and Max height in the site identity section of the customizer, just below the “Logo” control. These controls give you the option to choose different logo sizes for different devices.
4. General Settings
If you want to change the overall site layout site width or sidebar width you need to go to the “General Settings” section of the customizer.
Site layout control has two options, Boxed Layout and Wide Layout. Boxed layout means the whole site displays in a boxed container whereas the wide layout option takes the whole width of the browser.
Layout width gives you the ability to change the container width of the site layout.
When you give a sidebar width it applies to the posts or pages those displays the main sidebar.
5. Header Settings
Social Menu – How to add a social Menu?
You can display a social menu at the Top Bar of the header. To create a social menu using the customizer please follow the steps below.
- Visit your site’s dashboard.
- Navigate to Appearance → Customize → Menus.
- If you see a Social menu has already been created, you can click it to begin editing. If not, click “Create New Menu” instead and type in a name, such as “Social” for example.
- After giving a menu name make sure that the checkbox for “Social Menu” is checked under “Menu Locations:”
- To add your first social media link to the menu, click + Add Items:
- Next, select the “Custom Links” menu item type.
- Here, fill in the two fields:
- URL: Add the link address for one of your social media profiles. For example, if the link to your Facebook profile is https://www.facebook.com/ThemezHut, you would paste that into the URL field.
- Link Text: Type a name for the social media site, such as Facebook or Instagram.
- Once you have filled in both fields, click “Add to Menu“.
- Repeat the above steps until all the social media profiles you wish to use have been added to the menu.
- Finally, click Save Changes. Check your site to see your brand new social media icons!
Header Settings : Appearance
You can change your site’s header appearance by navigating to Appearance → Customize → Header Settings → Appearance
Currently there are two header layouts for you to choose from.
- Default Layout – Displays the the site branding before the primary menu.
- Single Layout – Displays the site title/logo(branding) and the primary menu side by side in a horizontal layout.
You can use the Header Padding Top and Header Padding Bottom controls to change the height of the header. You can add values separately for desktops, tablets and mobiles.
Note: Since most of the controls on the settings sections are self explanatory all of them are not explained.
6. Magazine Homepage
BNM has provided a “Magazine” sidebar along with “Magazine Posts Style” widgets which can be used to create a magazine style homepage easily. All you have to do is add “Magazine Posts Style” Widget in the “Magazine” widget area.
Adding Separate pages for “Magazine” and “Blog” pages.
Normally your blog posts will display at the bottom of the “Magazine” Widget area. If you want to create two separate pages for “Magazine” Homepage and “Blog” listing page please do the following.
- Create a new page from Dashboard → Pages → Add New.
- Give that page a any name you prefer. eg: Home, Front page etc.
- Then select the “Magazine Homepage” option for the “Template” setting which is in the “Summary” section of the “Page” Tab Panel.
- Then Go to Dashboard → Settings → Reading and select the “A Static Page” option which is under the heading “Front Page Displays”.
- Then Select the page that you created earlier from the “Front Page” drop down . eg: Home
– Adding a blog post page when magazine homepage is activated.
- Go to Dashboard → Pages → Add New in the WordPress Dashboard.
- Give it a name whatever you want. eg : Blog.
- Then Go to Settings → Reading in the WordPress Dashboard and select the option “A static page” which is under the heading “Front Page Displays”.
- Then Select the page that you created from the “Posts Page” drop down . eg: Blog.