There are so many hosting options out there like Shared hosting, VPS Hosting, Dedicated Hosting, Managed Hosting and other options like Cloud Hosting. So what are those? What is a CDN? What should I choose? Should I choose the cheapest? Those were once big problems for me also. This article is to clarify these things. I hope to describe all these things in briefly.
What is your web hosting providers task? Their task is to keep their servers running fast, secure as much as humanly possible. They must be aware of server maintenance and security updates. Because we are not system administrators we don’t know about servers. We need their support most of the times. They should response for our problems and resolve them very fast.
Let’s look at hosting options one by one briefly.
- Best for new or low traffic websites.
- Lowest Pricing.
- Lack of features and customization.
- Multiple individuals sharing the same server.
- Allows your own virtualized environment.
- Still shares a physical machine.
- Cheaper than dedicated, more expensive than shared.
- Allows for more customization.
- Less resource allocation than dedicated, more resources than shared.
- Your own server to do what you want on.
- The most expensive option.
- Unlimited customization options.
- Able to handle high-traffic sites.
Managed WordPress hosting
- Handles updates for you.
- More focused on WordPress sites.
- Typically within a shared or VPS environment.
- Little to no server-side customization.
- Limited to WordPress.
When you go through above facts you might have got an idea about what plan suit for your case. Normally for a new website or blog that has about 25000-30000 visits per month can use shared hosting. But if it has more than that amount of traffic can use vps hosting. But if you want more control dedicated hosting is the solution. However your web hosting provider should be able to accommodate your growth. There should be options to update your hosting plan.